Thursday 26 February 2015

Differences between Vector and Bitmap

In this blog post I will be talking about the two different file formats vector and bitmap and the advantages and disadvantages of them both. I will also be talking how these file types is used within certain photo editing softwares such as Photoshop, Illustrator and dream weather. 

Bitmapp is a file which is mainly used for photos and taking pictures so they will look crisp and original which can make them more presentable in certain parts of the media industry such as posters and billboards which can advertise films for the cinemas and these will be edited on photoshop.
But if you change the aspects and ratio of the photo it will make the the photo looked stretched and less professional as the image realise on pixels. If you stretch the photo or alter the size of the photo along with chaining the resolution you will be able to see pixels and this will make them image look terrible for use and it will be used for nothing and you when you see billboards around you don't see all the images pixelated and looking unprofessional. 

With Bitmap depending on the size of the photo or image it only allows you to change the aspect of the ratio so far as the pixels are a certain size. These fie types along with JPEG is used in photoshop and JPEG allows you to put images in Blogger. JPEG is used in photoshop for photographers who take photos or editors who will edit the photos or images in photoshop and the editor will make the photos look more original and realistic instead of illustration or graphic for commercial use.

Vector graphics are an image format which is used for commercial use in such products as children's books and posters such as the BFG books and posters such as The Simpsons and other animated shows. The difference between a bitmap and a vector is that vectors are illustrated shapes that can be used altered and not worry about the pixels as vectors images can be altered to a massive scale and will stay the same resolution. Vector Graphics don't take up as much computer data as bitmap imagery and Vector graphics don't lose quality when they are resized or recoloured.

However vector images are low quality images meaning that they are often used as small images with a basic colour. The type tool in both photoshop and illustrator is a vector tool as you can stretch and alter the text with out the worry of it becoming.

Graphics metafiles are useful because they hold not just Vector graphics they hold both vector and bitmap for example a photoshop file holds vector graphics with all the fonts that you can use whilst you are on photoshop and all the different tools that you can use these are all Vector graphics and the bitmap graphics such as JPEG, TIFF, PNG, GIF, PSD, INDD, AI files that you can change your poster that you may have created on photoshop.

The image below is my vector graphic that I created on illustrator and below I have got the steps I took into making my Vector Graphic.

Here is an example of the Vector Graphic I created:

I am now going to illustrate the steps I took into creating my Vector Image.
1.  Firstly I took a Bitmap picture of myself to create an vector image and then opened the image up into Adobe Illustrator.
2. Secondly I began using the pen tool to draw around my face and added a skin tone so I could then add my facial features and then you could see them.
3. Once I had the structure of my head I then began adding my facial features such as my eyes face and putting the colour into my hair and going over my jumper.
4. I kept on using the same technique so I could then add my eye brows and the colour to my eyes.
5. Once I had finished the small details the indentation on the lines below my eyes is an example of a metafile which is a mixture of Vector and Bitmap.
6. After I completed this you have one simple step to make which is remove the background that you are in and you do this by using trace over which creates a A.i file which is a vector image.
7. From these 6 simple steps you will be able to develop an understanding on how to use illustrator and you will also understand how illustrator is compatible with JPEG, PDF and PNG files and the ability to create simple designs such as logos, poster designs and magazine artwork. It was also interesting to see how simple illustrator can be to use.

Bitmap images
Here are some examples of Bitmap images,



Here is the raster image I created which is my DVD Sleeve for my Graphics work.

Conclusion

Vector graphics is used to create logos such as my Assassins creed logo that I created on my DVD sleeve and this allows us to have smoother curvature.
Bitmap imagery is mainly used for photography and video, Bitmap files are mainly compressed due to the size of the data stored on them and these are stored as Raster Imagery.
A metafile is a mixture of vector and bitmap these are also used for pieces such as posters and DVD Sleeves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment